Harsh Reality

Saturday, June 25, 2016

"Brexit" Explained in Terms of a College Situation

First, my congratulations to the people of the United Kingdom for striking the most massive blow yet against globalism by voting to leave the European Union. Your stand against collectivist globalism has given a shot of adrenaline to freedom-loving people everywhere. Here's praying that the momentum continues to build.


A friend of my college-age daughter shared on social media recently that she was a bit confused by what to think about the "Brexit" news. Major Western media, of course, portrayed the vote in terms of how bad it is. But the people of the UK seem pretty happy with it. So I left the following explanation to help her and her friends with what Brexit was all about in terms they could understand.
There's nothing to be confused about! Think of European countries as people. Pretend YOU are a European country. You've got a bunch of friends. Some have great jobs, some have no job. Some have a nice car, some have no car at all. Some are slobs, some are neat & tidy. Some pay their bills on time and some are constantly having their phone disconnected or are in collection status. So, all of you are sitting around one day and someone proposes you all move into a big house together. Share all the bills. Share all your vehicles. Share all the food.
The guy who works odd jobs doesn't contribute much to the finances, but he IS a really good musician, so he's a fun guy to come home to. And the girl with the really nice car doesn't make a lot of money and made a really poor choice with the car she selected. But now, shell be able to make her payments okay as long as she's able to eat the food that "everyone" is buying for the pantry. And besides, everyone will get to use her nice car. And a million other collective benefits come into the conversation.
 Except it doesn't work like that.
The broke-ass, irresponsible roommates continue being irresponsible - only NOW they're being irresponsible with the food and the cars and the bills that the responsible roommates brought to the deal. Eventually, it becomes clear that basically everything is being averaged out. Which is great for the lazy roommates and the perpetually under-employed ones. And musician guy wrecked the girls' really nice car and she thinks the whole group should get it fixed.
It gets to a point where the 2-3-4 responsible roommates are just completely carrying the rest. And one of the responsible ones says "I'm out of here. I'm not happy with others wrecking my credit, eating my food, running up bills that I'm expected to pay and keeping me up all night with noise because they don't have to go to work in the morning. I wish you well. Goodbye."
Obviously, the loser roommates will beg & plead for the responsible one to stay. And the other responsible roommates - realizing that they're going to have an increased burden carrying the losers - first pleads with them to stay and then threatens them with all kinds of consequences if they leave. Then throw into the mix that one of the roommates is black or muslim, and the roommates start telling the one who wants to leave that he's a racist and is only leaving because he hates brown people. 
Finally, the responsible roommate says I'm out of here. I've got my own place, my own job, my own car and my own credit. I just want to be responsible for myself and not dependent on everyone. I care more about my own interests than the collective does. My own personal well-being is worse off for joining this collective house, so I'm going to just be independent. 
That is what the UK did. They voted to leave. That is "Brexit". 
Germany is the only responsible roommate who's going to stay. Switzerland and Iceland have withdrawn their petition to join, France and others may vote to leave, Austria will probably also vote to leave. The house is coming apart.
Congratulations for the people of the UK reclaiming their independence. America gets our turn in November to make a profound statement against globalism.


1 comment: